Parliament House and Exhibition Buildings, Melbourne, c. 1900: once Federal and State Houses of Parliament [RHSV Collection : PC-0341]
Canberra, Australia’s ‘National Capital’, celebrates its centenary on 12 March. On that day in 1913, the foundation stones were laid for a ‘Commencement Column’ and the new Australian capital was officially named ‘Canberra’ by Lady Denman, wife of the then Governor-General.
It would be remiss not to point out that Melbourne was the seat of Australia’s Federal government for over a quarter of a century. Read more...
The Royal Historical Society of Victoria was formed in 1909 and is a community organisation committed to collecting, researching and sharing an understanding of the history of Victoria.
With the support of a large number of volunteers, the RHSV provides a full program of activities (e.g. lectures, seminars, excursions and exhibitions) for the benefit of members and the general public. The Society publishes a bi-monthly newsletter, a reviewed journal and books of historical interest.